Monday, February 25, 2008

Richard Moore Answers Questions from the Audience

As governor would you support a MH DD SAS cabinet of leaders to recommend to the governor actions to take? And would you include famlies and consumers?

"Only if that cabinet has real say over something. I have been at this for a while. I have seen every game that is played. Yes I will do it but I will do more than just that."

The Division of MH/DD/SAS is big and some say unwielding. Do you think it is time for separate divisions?
"I do not know what the right thing to do there is. I think some of our problems is a lack of strong management. We have siloing of duties, this person is only concerned with this, that person is only concerned with that. If they just once a year glanced over we would have better communication." "Stronger management and less divisions."

On the topic of alternative sentencing or do you support diversion?
"I was once a federal procesutor. I was on the national crime prevention board. The amount of research out there on what can be done in prevention versus what we actually do. It is a lot easier to get votes if we talk about locking folks up and throw away the key."
"There are programs out there that actually work."


What types of organizations should provide community care?
"Providers should be well qualified and the public should know that they are well qualified and paid for at a reasonable rate."

At one point the speaking dias almost fell off the platform. Richard Moore quickly grabed the table to stop it from falling and with quick with stated "Ifixed that problem."


What to do with Dix?

"I will stay out of that one."


On transportation:
"Access means being able to get there"
"We made a lot of progress in the 80s and 90s we seem to be slipping backwards."


On Housing:
"No one else is more focused on affordable housing than I have been. I have been very active with the affordable housing folks in North Carolina. To create real affordable housing we need recurring funding for the Housing Trust Fund."

No comments: